Thursday, April 16, 2009

How to deal with Child Tantrums

Gone are the days, when our parents use to hit us or lock us in the room, or if more strict, deprive us of our favourite food or just stop talking to us, when we use to throw tantrums. That was in older days( three decades to be precise).
Nowadays, things have changed and at some point of time we would have been in same situation and did not know what to do. I use to pity kids who use to get spanking from their mother's while in mall's or park. But, even I had faced embarassment after becoming a parent and now Iknow how tough it is to deal in that particular situation. Needless to say, now I pity poor parents.
When I faced same situation for the first time I did not know what to do? whom to ask for help? Then immediately I invested in a book on child psychology(net was not so powerful at that time). The very first thing it said was to keep calm, ( I remembered I was shouting on top of my voice and getting more hysterical than my child). I came to know that sometimes kids just want some attention and this is their way of showing it. Its also necessary to know the cause of the tantrum, some times hungriness or sleepiness is behind such behaviour, so it better you feed your child and allow him to take a nap.
While you are in public place the best solution is leave from that palce even if your child is kickin g and screaming. If the child is older is better to expalin it to him that you would talk to him only if he calms down, in this way he will understand that you ar ignoring him because of his unacceptable behaviour.
Still toddlers tantrums are more manageable than the monster tantrums thrown by older children. But the key here also is to remain calm and rational, yet firm. Its very important for your child to know that this will never get him what he wants and that there are ways more effective to communicate.

No comments:

Post a Comment